Sunday, April 3, 2016

A Montana Sampler: Lots of New Insects to ID


It was a very nice trip.  The fishing was great, the scenery was -- well, have a look at that photo! -- and I found a lot of new insects, all of which I have to ID.  That will take me awhile, so this is a "taste" of what's to come.

1. My favorite -- a new species of Isogenoides (Perlodid stonefly).


A real beauty.

2. A second Perlodid stonefly, a Skwala.  We saw the nymphs and the adults.   The rivers around Missoula are famous for the Skwala hatch at this time of year.  I was there to fish the "Skwala hatch".


3.  Another Perlodid, an Isoperla this time.  The "Yellow Sally" hatch can't be far away.


4. And a final Perlodid stonefly, a very young Kogotus.




5. Mayfly number 1 -- a Western Ameletus.  I'll ID this one in my next entry: it's A. oregonensis.


6. A new Cinygmula flathead.


7. A second Heptageniidae, this one a Rhithrogena.


8.  And one little caddisfly larva, one that we've seen before (see 5/1/14), Dicosmoecus gilvipes, the "October Caddis".



Fun, fun, fun.  Sure love finding new things.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.
    מדביר ברחובות

    ReplyDelete