Sunday, March 31, 2019

Another new insect: an Ameletidae, Ameletus tertius


I found this little mayfly at the Rapidan River on Tuesday, and when I looked at it in the bowl, my first guess was that it was nothing but the small minnow mayfly, Baetis intercalaris.  Still, something wasn't quite right.  It was only when I focussed in to get some photos that I realized this was something I'd not seen before.  By the shape of the head, the short antennae, and the fact that the gills pointed straight up and down -- sort of like the oar blades on a crew boat -- I knew that it was Ameletidae,  but what species?

When I got home I looked at Steve Beaty's descriptions ("The Ephemeroptera of North Carolina," p. 1) in which five different species are keyed out for this part of the country -- cryptostimulus, lineatus, ludens, tarteri, and tertius.    The A. tertius description caught my eye for one prominent reason: "distinctly marked small species with dorsal terga 3-6 with two large, ovalized submedian segments" (Beaty, p. 1)  Bingo!


And another feature shows up in this photo as well -- "tarsi with both dark basal and apical bands." (Beaty)

But there were two other features that required some microscope work: 1) "ventrally pale except sterna 9 and 10 darkened (also sometimes a portion of 8)," and 2) "posterior spinules on abdominal terga 1 or 2-10."

Yes in both cases (though I realize it may be difficult in my photo to see the spinules except for those on segments 5 and 6, they were present on all of 2-10.)



Score again for the Rapidan River -- Ameletus tertius!  Here's some more photos.






Sometimes I wonder why I go to other streams.


A. tertius is the fourth Ameletidae species I've found.  The others,

Ameletus cryptostimulus,


Ameletus lineatus,


and in Montana, Ameletus subnotatus.







1 comment:


  1. I have to agree with the above comment... you write very informative posts. Your blog has everything I like:
    discovery of something new accurate and research-based information, and thorough and careful explanations.
    MDX Concepts Gypsum Spray for Bed Bugs

    ReplyDelete