Thursday, June 20, 2019

New taxa -- so far -- in 2019


It's been a good year so far in terms of finding new species of EPT, so I thought I'd sum up our findings so far.

1. In the photo above, a free living caddisfly larva, Rhyacophila torva.  (Small mountain stream in Sugar Hollow.)

2. A new caddis casemaker, Ironoquia punctatissima. (Small intermittent stream in Sugar Hollow.)


3. An Ameletidae, Ameletus tertius. Rapidan River.


4.  A new Hydropsychidae species, Ceratopsyche etnieri.  (Buck Mt. Creek.  Not the best photo.  I hope to find another one soon.)


5. And another Hydropsychidae, Hydropsyche potomacensis.  (Whippoorwill Branch of the Mechums.)  (Again, I need to get a better photo.)


Also worth noting, I found a pronggilled mayfly that I've only seen once before.  It's very uncommon.

6. Habrophlebia vibrans.  (Small mountain stream in Sugar Hollow.)



Kind of a bumper crop this year.  My summer focus will be working on Hydropsychidae, and I won't be surprised if I identify even more species. 

No comments:

Post a Comment